One of the most representative samples of the architectural trend that predominates in the Mexican capital during the first decade of the 20th century is the house located in Álvaro Obregón no. 99, in Colonia Roma. Built-in 1911, the elegance of its design and the grandiloquence of its proportions and ornamental resources, confirm the desire to collect everything that refers to the aristocratic, the ideology of a generation that, by recreating urban landscapes similar to the suburbs of cosmopolitans European cities, seeks to reaffirm its respectability, as well as the nobility and brilliance of its position.
Although at first the property is projected as a home for its owner and builder, Lewis Lamm, the family never lives it and the property is rented to the Marist Brothers, who transform it into the French Jalisco School for men. Later, the house is acquired by the García Collantes family who, by inhabiting it until 1990, saves it from the indiscriminate destruction suffered by most of the buildings of the time when they fall into the hands of builders indifferent to the historical value of the architectural heritage.
To the rescue of this property with artistic value is added the importance of its new function: to house the Casa Lamm Culture Center, whose activities began in 1993 with the aim of promoting and disseminating culture, essentially through the training of professionals in the field of art and literature in response to the need to increase reflection, dialogue and discussion of current issues and promote analysis with the participation of prestigious intellectuals, academics, artists and personalities from the world of culture.